Friday, January 8, 2010

Christopher Columbus

For us, starting a business means we don't really know what our income is going to look like this year. I really haven't been worried about that because I know God will provide for us. My issue is that I've been concerned we might not get to eat at that amazing burrito restaurant whenever we want, that we will need to live in our current townhouse for the rest of our lives, that I may never be able to afford hiring someone else to clean my house, and that I'll always have to wonder if it's okay for me to buy something that's not absolutely necessary. Really my concern is that I won't be able to live a life of luxury. I know that sounds absolutely ridiculous and self absorbed on so many fronts, but that's the truth.

Then Brad started telling me about this history book he's had his nose buried in the last few days, "The Light and the Glory" by Peter Marshal and David Manuel. He would highly recommend it.  I currently remember what he was telling me about it going something like this...

"Blah, blah, blah"
(I'm nodding and listening as best I can.) 
"blah, blah, blah, we should read this book to our kids when they're learning history in school."
(Still nodding and listening and saying how I'm terrible with my history.)
"Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah and Christopher Columbus, he started out seeking the Lord but then got consumed with seeking fame and fortune."

It litereally came to me then. Wham right up side the head!
Matthew 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."  Read the whole passage here if you're interested. It's so refreshing. I may never have a housekeeper, but I can focus on living for something that matters so much more than that!

As for Christopher Columbus, if I remember what Brad said, his seeking of fame and fortune didn't help him out very much in the end.

0 comments: