Thursday, April 1, 2010

Flat Cookie Issue

See those cookies? FLAT! I wasted an entire nap time plus some on these Iced Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies. (Only follow that link if you will not think less of me as a person when you compare my cookies to Martha's.) Although I still like eating them, they are not worthy of sharing with others like I had eagerly anticipated while I was mixing up the batter. They are practically paper thin and not visually appealing, as if you needed me to tell you that.

Martha failed me, or maybe I failed Martha. I can't seem to make a non flat cookie unless I make a cookie with so much in it that it maintains it's ball shape and crumbles all over when you bite into it. I don't consider myself a bad cook. I like to bake, was in 4-H, inherited good baking genes, lived in Love Hall, usually make edible things and know how to follow directions...most of the time.

I took exception on this pan to the direction that said "baking sheets lined with parchment paper,"
and although I did use parchment paper on this pan, I was unable to follow the direction that said, "bake cookies until golden and just set" due to a child occupying me. It was clearly not my day for cookies.

Really, usually I don't have those issues, just the issue of the flat cookie. I was actually discussing this with a friend a few days ago. We thought that it's related to your butter needing to be room temperature. Well, Martha told me to melt it. I thought she would know, so I followed that direction. Do you think I should have disregarded her direction?  I would love to know your thoughts on how to not make flat cookies because I am sick of all my cookies being 1 mm thick and spread out all over the pan!

Please help me!


Okay I know my drizzling is probably driving you crazy too. I admit it. I have issues with drizzling too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would like to eat one, flat or not. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Outward appearances are just that! It's what's on the inside that counts--and if there's butter and sugar on the inside, I'm in, flat or not!

Keri

vwwannab said...

I like flat cookies and those sound and even look really yummy! Love your link to Love hall!! :) No suggestions on how to fix the flat cookie problem though. Don't flatten them at all before you bake them perhaps??? No clue, but like I said, I still think they look good! - Shauna

inquisitiveliz said...

hi julie! i was surprised/excited to see a comment on my page! :) i'll do my best. how are you guys? i'm having fun reading some of your posts! and of course the pictures are great!