Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Update

About time for an electrician update, isn't it?
He's been keeping busy the last couple of weeks. He just passed his inspection with no problem on the rough in (a.k.a. before drywall) part of the first new home he's wiring as Robertson Electric. It's a log home in the sandhills, which seems like an interesting fact you would want to know. I hope to see the final result someday. Maybe I'll show you a picture of a light he put in it someday.

Now for a Julie update.
I've actually finished six chapters of Sacred Marriage: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy by Gary Thomas. It's interesting enough that I can actually read it before I go to bed without falling asleep after five minutes. I do find it a little difficult to read a book on marriage when it is a husband talking about what he's done to be a better husband. I have a remarkable husband, but I've had times when I thought of pointing to a paragraph in the book and making Brad read it. Clearly I need to read the book and let the part soak in that talks about making yourself better and not your spouse. (see 3rd quote below)

 I thought I should share some interesting quotes from the book for you.

"The difficulty with honoring our spouse is that it calls us to adopt attitudes and actions that go far beyond merely saying that we won't dishonor him or her. As Betsy and Gary Ricucci point out, "Honor isn't passive, it's active...""   That's on page 63 if your book is like mine.

"Whether in men or women, there develops an underlying ruthlessness, a demanding spirit, and a stark self-absorption that permeates every task and relationship as the person seeks to manipulate others into joining their own orbit rather than seeking to launch people into God's." He says this on page 78 of my book when he's talking about people who sacrifice their family relationships for their personal ambitions.

This one I have to ponder from page 101. "Much of our marital dissatisfaction stems in actuality from self-hatred. We don't like what we've done or become; we've let selfish and sinful attitudes poison our thoughts and lead us into shameful behaviors, and suddenly all we want is out....The times that I am happiest and most fulfilled in my marriage are the times when I am intent on drawing meaning and fulfillment from becoming a better husband rather than from demanding a "better" wife."

I've also been spending time on creating a new blog. I might tell you where to find it in a month or so.

0 comments: