Monday, June 6, 2011

Remember The Wonders He Has Done, Part 2

Continuing right from where I left off before...

I'm sure many families would've been more than happy to adopt her baby right when he was born; but because of some complicated court issues, he wasn't able to be adopted right away. In the mean time, after my parents had time to grieve and process, they looked into adoption. We stopped by the adoption agency to check in at about the same time that a judge said the little boy could be adopted. The agency saw us and knew we were the family for him.

We didn't disagree. Less than a year after looking into adoption and 14 months after losing a baby, we brought home an adorable 14 month old boy. His location had to be kept secret for a while, so it felt sort of like an undercover operation. We had to give him a new name, which was the third name he'd be given in his entire life. We named him Luke, and to say he was well loved and attended to would be an understatement.


He was more adorable than words can describe. (Still is actually)

Thanks Mom and Dad for finding and scanning pictures!
Do we wish that Jay would've been a healthy baby and lived? Of course! Did Luke's birthmom enjoy going through 48 hours of labor, (which means she was probably in labor almost the same time my mom was!) then having a major c-section, giving up her baby for adoption and then wondering for over a year if he would find a good home? I don't think so! Did God have a plan?! YES!

This example of how God works things for good has been on the forefront of my mind because Luke just got married. When he seated his birthmom during the wedding, I made the mistake of looking at my sister and the tears rolled. Not only was that little boy all of a sudden grown up and getting married, but he was with the woman who chose adoption, which allowed us to have him as our brother. We're so proud to have Luke as our brother, and so deeply thankful for his birthmom.


The details that show how God was at work in both of our stories are countless. I feel completely inadequate to tell them all because I was almost eight at the time it all started, and I only know of most of the amazing ways God worked because of what I've heard people say. I think Luke, his birthmom and my parents all just need to write a book together. (I think they could follow the format of The Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore, but I'd let them settle for writing posts for my blog if they're not up for a book at the moment.)

When talking with Luke's birthmom about her story, she mentioned how she sees the fingerprints of God through it all. Our stories are definitely proof God is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think (Ephesians 3:20).  I'd be beyond hopeless if I couldn't count on God to work all things for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28). I'm also thankful to have lived through Him doing just that for my family. It makes remembering His wonders a lot easier when evidence of them is right in front of you.

Psalm 105:1-5
 Oh give thanks to the LORD, call upon His name;
Make known His deeds among the peoples.

Sing to Him, sing praises to Him;
Speak of all His wonders.
Glory in His holy name;
Let the heart of those who seek the LORD be glad.
Seek the LORD and His strength;
Seek His face continually.
Remember His wonders which He has done...

3 comments:

Our family said...

Thanks for sharing Julie! I didn't know Luke's birthmom had to move to a different state while pregnant. How scary!

Your family photo from 1989 made me laugh out loud. We were all such dorks!! MASSIVE improvement during the past 20 years!

Jen Callinan said...

LOVE! Beautifully written and so many memories of that precious time in your lives - tears are rolling down my cheeks just remembering... Congratulations to Luke and Sarah!

vwwannab said...

Awesome post Julie! Absolultely LOVE the pic of your fam. All of the glasses rock! Can you immagine how much our kids will laugh at us someday? :)