Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Running and Reading

Congratulations to Team Rob The Truck. The five people on our team - Brad, Tyler, Jill, Shauna and I - all finished the 10k Havelock Run. Finding five people to train, sign up for and complete a 10k is harder than you might think. We were all happy to finish and City Impact gets money! It's a win/win.

My reading kick has slowed some you may have noticed, but it came back with a vengeance with all the quality, quiet car time I had when Brad and I got away to Minneapolis this weekend. Maybe because I was content to just read while we were driving instead of attempting to have quality conversation time with my husband is why my mom gave me Sacred Marriage: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy to read. The first chapter is about "a call to holiness more than happiness." I bet Brad probably went and hid any other book I might consider reading so that I read this one quick. I'm going to try to stretch my brain more than I do by reading fiction and give it a try.

Once I finish it, I'll make sure I encourage Brad to read it.         He's actually on a reading kick too lately. Currently he's reading Beyond the Final Score: There's More to Life Than the Game by Tom Osborne. He keeps sharing all the great info he's reading, so I don't know if I even will need to read the book when he gets done with it. (Thanks for the book Dad!)

On our trip I finished my most recent Blogging for Books book and read
Sharpshooter in Petticoats in it's entirety. That series could easily be made into a western movie that I would want to watch.

As for the book that I got free for this review from WaterBrook Multnomah...
The Daughter's Walk: A Novel

I can't decide what I feel about it. It wasn't hard to read, was well written, and I wanted to find out what happened; but fiction about someone who really lived was hard for me to come to terms with. The Daughter's Walk is about a real girl named Clara who actually walked across the country with her mom in 1896. No kidding! They walked from Washington to New York. The author, Jane Kirkpatrick, did extensive research on Clara's life. She then fills in the unknown and makes a story about what she thinks may have happened. I loved learning about life in a different era while reading, but I was always wondering what was really true and what did the author make up. Kirkpatrick does explain a lot of that at the end, so that eased my unease some. In my opinion writing a book like this would have to be much more difficult than writing about someone you can create from scratch.

I liked the book enough to check out from the library another of Kirkpatrick's books that I'm assuming is written the same way. Of course I won't be reading that until I finish "Sacred Marriage."

Or maybe I'll alternate books every time I finish a chapter. Sometimes I have to create a little motivation.

2 comments:

Our family said...

Victor and I are reading Sacred Marriage together. We just discussed the first chapter a couple of days ago. I kept forgetting to mention it to you! Funny!

Julie said...

That's so funny! Let me know your reading schedule and I'll try to keep up with you.