Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Juice Box Issue

I'm somewhat of a purest when it comes to beverages. I drink water. It's cheap, and it's good for me. I may drink a Sprite twice a year but that depends if I'm pregnant or sick within that year. I do not plan to be either for the rest of the year at least, (You all plan when you get sick, right?) so it's all water for me for a while. Since I figure water is good enough for me, I figure my kids should be purests too. I'm okay with them drinking water and milk. It's as if I fear they're going to join the statistics of obese children if they drink anything else. That's pathetic.

Obviosly my kids have found more exciting people to give them beverages other than milk and water. I've accepted it calmly and haven't lost it. I figured they're with me most of the time and I increased my determination to just give them milk and water.  Well, that has now all changed.

I caved to the pressure. After sitting through consecutive zoo trip picnics this summer with fun moms who bring drinks for their kids that are the complete envy of Elliana, then watching her drink their drink because she can't resist the thrill of drinking with a straw something other than milk or water from a cool container, I spent the money and bought "juice boxes." I could no longer handle feeling like I was the uncool mom with the sheltered daughter who could not keep her hands off a juice box that didn't belong to her.

Even if the juice boxes I bought were just flavored water, I now consider myself a Juice Box Mom. It feels very cool to be a Juice Box Mom, and Elliana is thrilled. She would've been through the box of drinks in two days if I wouldn't have still exercised some of my drink issue control over her. Control issues don't go away over night.

All thes makes me wonder how many other things am I going to cave into as a mom. Probably better to not think about it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have observed you being a Mom, and I think you are doing a wonderful job.
Dad

vwwannab said...

I'm with you on the juice/juice box issue. I caved a while ago and started buying them, but ONLY for special occasions. At our house it is just milk and water also we don't do juice or anything else for just day too day stuff. Although Mommy has to get in her daily Dt. Dr. Pepper fix but one can a day is my max. :)

Cassi said...

Love it Julie, I'm completely with you! Although, I'm not as purist as a mom as I am for my kiddo- I love my diet soda, tea, coffee, etc. But we always want better for our kids right?