Wednesday, April 27, 2011

MORE Reading!

I just finished another book that I recevied for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. My reading kick continues!

The Book:
Lilies in Moonlight: A Novel

It took me a few days before I read it to get over wanting to read the title as "Lie Lees" in Moonlight. It is true that the plural for the flower lily is lilies, but my brain doesn't like the fact that it has to say a short 'i' in front of an undouble consonant. Thankfully, the main character's name is Lilly, so whenever her name was followed by 's' may brain could easily just say "Lil Lees."

This book was great for me because I now have a better understanding of the "flapper" era. I'm terrible with history so "flapper" meant very little to me. I didn't think of the book as historical fiction until I was done reading; but when I saw it was, I thought back and realized I did learn lots of things about that time in our country's history while reading. Makes me appreciate reading even more.

I didn't become too emotionally attached to the characters, but I thoroughly enjoyed them all. It's probably good to read a book where I don't feel the need to pray and dream about the characters. I found the plot to be entertaining once I got past the first two chapters, which were kind of vague. I'm sure they were intended to leave you questioning, but I was a little concerned I wasn't going to enjoy the book.

Thankfully I did enjoy it and I'm guessing you would too. Just ask Brad about how I enjoyed it. He asked me once when we were with his family over Easter if I could be a little less anti-social. What's a woman to do when she only has a couple of chapters left?! 

After I get through this weekend, the next books on my reading agenda are Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together, which was highly recommended by the Johnsons and which my mom praised highly, and Sharpshooter in Petticoats (Sophie's Daughters), which is the 3rd in a series written by my mom's cousin!


Mom and Jill, you'll have to wait a bit on deciding who gets to borrow Lilies in Moonlight first because it's heading up to Amy, who is on hospitalized bedrest for up to five more weeks! If anyone wants to give a little shout of encouragement to her, feel free!

0 comments: